Tuesday, August 5, 2008

MY FIRST KISS

My first kiss was a stolen one in an empty room.

I was all of eight years old. The older members of the household had gone out for some family celebration. Only my younger brother was there, sleeping (his favourite pastime).

The room had a large mirror ideal for posing and preening, and a dressing-table full of rows of lipsticks and other rainbow-hued make-up stuff (all part of the armoury of my newly-wedded cousin's wife).

I was irresistably drawn to the luscious lipstick in their sleek shiny cases... Red She Said, Very Berry and Coco Loco. But it was Passionate Pink that I wanted...passionately.

The strawberry shade glided over my lips like smooth honey. Enchanted by taste and the texture, by the very grown-up appearance of my face (or so I thought, I'm almost sure I overdid the outlines), I puckered up and, leaning towards the mirror, gave a resounding kiss to myself.

Admiring the pink lipstick mark (on the mirror it looked so pouty, if you know what I mean), I spent a long and wonderfully narcissistic half-hour with myself. Wonder what Freud, Jung and co. would say about that.

So lost was I in self-passion that I came to myself at the sound of the garden-gate opening. Hurriedly rubbing off the lipstick off my lips, I forgot about the mark on the mirror.

Needless to say, I was caught (pink-lipped, if not red-handed), and became the butt of many a family joke for a long, long, time. Enough to turn my thoughts of love from myself to other worthier objects, like the boy-next-door.

DO YOU REMEMBER YOUR FIRST KISS?

P.S: I'm sending this post off with a flying kiss to Scribbit's August Write-Away contest. She's one of my must-read bloggers and I just love her write-away contests.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I remember but she has to reply.
;)

Scribbit said...

Oh that's wonderful! I love this--and a unique story on the topic!

Very visual too.

Sukku said...

Well my first kiss was with my girlfriend....who is currently my wife now

Deepa said...

Ah! I too was crazy about lipsticks, nailpolish and make-up. Things my mother never had!

every summer, we visited our cousins in Kerala and it was there that I tried on lipstick by myself for the first time - stolen from a grown-up cousin. Instrad of kissing the mirrow, I kissed a piece of paper which I carefully hid to show off to my girlfriends at school!

Sage said...

Loved this, wonderful story.. couldn't think of anything for scribbit and now that's two I have missed - bad me :-)

Sucharita Sarkar said...

hey, everybody, thanks for the compliments. i really wanted to know about your first kiss, though. Prying, prurient me!

Gabrielle said...

OMG! I really like your story!!! So adorable and with the psych humor! You are funny....and good!

Mozi Esme said...

Oh the innocence and embarassments of childhood!

Alexi Frest said...

Very very interesting subject!

Weird ones are also accepted?
My first kiss was a stolen one, too, and that is why it was awful (I have regretted many thousand times not to slap the fellow who committed it.)

Or could I mean my first GOOD or romantic kiss?

Thank you,
Mina Jade

jubilee said...

Loved your post. My friend and I used to kiss paper to see our lipstick marks and then used them to write love notes to boys. But, of course, we never sent them.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Sucharita Sarkar said...

Hey, thanks again and lots of H & K

Anonymous said...

LOL that was so cute and funny.